Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fashion Friday: Statement Jewelry (and a rant about how much I love my family)

I hate jewelry. 
I also hate shoes, but that's another story. This post is about jewelry. 

I know that for a young woman aspiring to some day be "fashionable," my hatred for jewelry might seem a little misplaced, but I just can't bring myself to like jewelry. It's obnoxious, uncomfortable, and it gets in the way of everything good. Necklaces, bracelets, rings.... they're all the same to me. They all get stuck on clothing and hair, they make unnecessary noise when they encounter hard surfaces, and they drastically hinder your ability to run and climb trees to your heart's desire. 

Who would sacrifice the ability to run and climb trees in the name of some shiny pieces of metal or plastic? Not me. 

So naturally, statement jewelry is not exactly a staple in my wardrobe. I don't like necklaces at all, let alone ones that are bigger than my hands. Any piece of metal that calls itself a "bib," or ring that sets off metal detectors in airports can stay far away from me please, and thank you.

But today I caved. I wore a necklace, and not just a necklace, a statement necklace (gasp!).

The thing is, I honest-to-god love this necklace. My sister and mother got it for me on a philanthropy trip to Nicaragua, and not only does it remind me of them, it reminds me of how grateful I am for the little blessings in my life. 

The point of statement jewelry is to make a statement, and I love the statement this necklace makes. It's the story of a Nicaraguan person's beautiful craftsmanship  it's the story of my family's passion for philanthropy, and the story of how I'm lucky enough to have family members who were thinking of me while we were apart. 

God, I miss my family. 

Sweater, H&M; camisole, Target; Skirt, Brandy Melville
If fashion is a form of expression, I can't think of a better way to express myself than with a statement necklace that represents my relationship with the women in my family. Today I wore statement jewelry because damn the trees and the running. Sometimes  you can only express yourself through your clothing. 

I paired my necklace with some of my favorite neutral basics. If you're going to be bold with your accessories, keep your clothing simple, right? Today I wore my favorite Nicaraguan rosebud necklace with a nude cardigan with black detailing, a light pink camisole, a black maxi-skirt, nude booties, and my-face-but-better makeup. 

I really love the effect this outfit has. It looks put together and trendy with pieces like the necklace and the skirt, but it still looks laid back and comfy. Today was cloudy and dreary, and this outfit was the perfect compromise between style and comfort on a day when I really just wanted to be warm and snuggly. Paired with a light smoky eye and berry lips for fall, this outfit came together just how I wanted it to: cool, classy, and a little bit fun. 

Just like my mother and sister. 


I'm LOVING berry lips for the fall. This color is so bold yet neutral at the same time -- perfect!
PS: Parents weekend here at Emory is NEXT weekend. Maybe my mom can join me next week for a weekend fashion post so you can see where I get my inspiration? Fingers crossed! 

Much ruv, 
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment