Friday, December 20, 2013

Blogmas Break and Inspiration

Today marks the beginning of an important commitment. To myself, to you guys, and to my goals.

I am (FINALLY) back home for Christmas break and beyond thrilled to have a break from the steady bombardment of work I've been dealing with this past semester. However, as I'm sure many of my peers are experiencing, there is a growing black hole in my stomach that I can't seem to ignore. 

No, it's not because I'm already missing dining hall food -- thank God for having a blender for the next two weeks -- but because I'm not sure what to do with myself. And by not sure, I mean I have no idea. 

Sitting in my window seat, an absolute travel necessity for me, I realized last night that I was bored. I haven't been bored in so long! As a result, I did something I wouldn't usually do and gave into a nasty impulsive desire to buy an overpriced copy of ELLE magazine in Las Vegas. 

What a great idea! This month's issue of ELLE is all about how to improve yourself, get the best this, that, and everything in between, and how to really make 2014 your year. And some of the articles were SO refreshing. 

How long has it been since any of us have picked up a women's fashion magazine without reading an article about how to get rid of love handles or trim fat? What about how to practically never age using only these twenty different serums? 

ELLE seems to be as fed up with this crap as I am. Between articles on how to learn to love food again (I'll definitely be working on this goal in 2014!), to ditching the self-help books in search of meaningful self-actualization, I found myself so overjoyed that I was quite literally smiling from ear to ear in the middle of the airport. Sure, there was a whole Chinese family looking at me like I was crazy, but I didn't care. I was INSPIRED. 

It occurred to me then that the opposite of bored is not busy. It's inspired. 
I have been busy all semester, and while I love the things I am doing and have had a great time, I haven't felt truly inspired in quite some time. I accomplished a lot of my goals in 2013. I got into a top tier university, found a new level of depth and love in my relationship, strengthened my connection to my family, lost weight, and maintained a new level of self-acceptance that eluded me all throughout high school.

But 2013 is not over, and in order to start 2014 right, I'm going to milk 2013 for all it's worth. Consider this the last 100 meters of my 2013 marathon. For the next eleven days, I am going to be committing myself to join the things that inspire me, bring my joy, and make me better. I'm going to work on me, work on my skills, work on my passions, and just try to make the most of my free time. If college has taught me one thing thus far, it's that time is the world's most precious entity, and happy people know how to use theirs wisely. 

I will be blogging every day for the next eleven days, and I'm calling it Blogmas because nobody can stop me. I didn't start a blog to ignore it, and while it's so easy to get caught up in actually living (not just writing about  living), this week we're going to put my writing muscle to work, and WORK IT. A blog post a day. You have my word.

I've included below my list of "microgoals," the little things I hope to accomplish in my last 100 meter dash of the year. I hope you can finish 2013 with power and confidence!

Much ruv, 
Kristen

Kristen's 2013 Blogmas Goals
1. Write a blog post every day. Photos are non-optional.
2. Spend at least 15 minutes a day bonding with my sister
3. Commit to 30 minutes of cardio every day. 
4. Cook with an ingredient I've never used at least twice a week 
5. Do at least two photoshoots while I'm home


No comments:

Post a Comment