Monday, December 23, 2013

I've been domesticated (Blogmas day 4)

It's official: Christmas is the most tiring thing I've ever done.



Let me give you the play-by-play of my day today: I left the house at nine to journey down to Reno to do all of my Christmas shopping. Fantastically, I was done with all of my gift shopping by ten (and a little personal shopping... I can't turn down running tights sales), but then came grocery shopping until one-thirty. As much as I love Costco, today was a crazy mess, and I can only take limited doses of that much humanity.

Upon finally returning home at two, I ate a quick lunch and began on my baking/cooking/prepping adventure extraordinaire (you know there are pictures coming). It's 5:10 pm as I sit down to write this, and I just got off my feet. This blog post is my work break before I return to the food-prep marathon and start whipping up all the other components of tonight's eight person meal, and then I will immediately begin gift wrapping.


I'm exhausted just trying to remember everything I've done today. Nobody mention that tomorrow it starts all over again. This is break time.

Cooking with a view
But all complaining aside, this is what I live for. Call me a housewife at heart (I definitely am), but cooking for others and entertaining brings me so much peace and joy. College is great, but I've just missed the process of mixing things in bowls, sticking things in ovens, plating, and cleaning piles of dishes.

Yea, I'm definitely a housewife deep down.

This little guy has been on my heels all day just waiting for me to drop food. I've missed him so much!
But even better than the cooking and cleaning is the family. And we have plenty of family in town. Joining us this Christmas is my father's parents and his younger brother and his wife. I adore my extended family, and I am so grateful to have them here. They're a bunch of goofy, musically gifted, wickedly intelligent individuals who always brighten our house with their presence. Not to mention that upon arrival, they immediately jumped into helping me unload the dishwasher to make room for the new mess of dishes I had just created. Family who help you clean? Major plus.


In past years, I've had a difficult time getting into the Christmas spirit. This year, while I may not be THE merriest person around, I feel excited for Christmas in a new way. Having been away from my family basically since graduation, having time to be with my family and show them how much I love them has got me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. The fact that they saved my favorite Christmas ornaments to let me hang on the tree didn't hurt either. I finally hung them today.


Ornaments from my Nutcracker days. These ballerina ornaments carry so many memories.
So it's official. I'm in the Christmas spirit, and I'm also tired as can be. AND, now I have to go glaze a cake, roast some broccoli, cook some salmon, and... oh boy. The list is long.

A blurry mother swooping in the make sure I'm keeping her house clean
More pictures from my baking adventure will probably go up later tonight. For now, Merry Christmas and happy entertaining!

Much ruv,
Kristen







No comments:

Post a Comment