Friday, March 14, 2014

Ahi tuna tacos with mardi gras slaw

I'm going to say something shocking:


I don't like tacos.



To be fair, for anyone who knows me well, this probably isn't all too terribly shocking. Carbs and I have a love hate relationship (I hate them, I love them, I hate that I love them?) and I don't really see why the makings of a good taco just have to be confined to a tortilla.

Because tortillas are delicious. That's why.

Like I said, love hate relationship.


The insides of these tacos definitely need not be limited to the confines of a tortilla. I served myself one taco and had the equivalent of another in the form of just a clump of taco "stuff."

But do you need these tacos in your life? Yes. An absolute, definitive, unequivocal yes. And that's coming from someone who doesn't like tacos.



So let's talk tacos:


If you've never thought of putting seared ahi tuna in a taco until today then don't worry, that makes two of us. It just so happened  that the ahi tuna at the grocery store was looking particularly irresistible today, and while it may have just been my post-hiking hunger making decisions for me, I was not going to leave that store without carbohydrates. So what carb do you combine ahi tuna with? Pasta? Not so much. Bread? Meh. Tortilla? Oh, we can definitely do that.


I like my ahi raw, pink, and with asian influences, but you know what else was irresistible at the store today? Avocados. Ohhhhh buddy. People were sitting around complaining about how they were too ripe, but I say no such thing. Ripe avocados just want you to scoop them up, love them properly, and mash them into a delicious guacamole. If I do say so, I know how to love an avocado properly. And I love me some guac.

Tortillas? Guac? Sounds like the making of a perfect taco to me. But ahi tuna? Can combining three delicious things ever really go wrong? Yes, actually. But fusion food is in right now, right? We'll call it an adventure.


To make these tacos more fun (and so pretty!) I topped them with what I am calling mardi gras slaw.


 It's honestly one of the prettiest things I've ever made, super easy and healthy, and it rhymes. Mardi Gras Slaw. Has a great ring to it right? You don't have to make these tacos during mardi gras, but they're purple, yellow, and green, and the tastiest little things you'll ever eat, so the real question is why wouldn't you?

Why wouldn't you eat these every day?


These tacos are, beautiful, easy, and tasty. Topped with a little bit of ginger dressing to give them an asian kick, and served on a warm tortilla of your choosing (or no tortilla, but seriously... just eat the tortilla), these are sure to please whoever you make them for.


My recommendation: keep them all to yourself. These tacos are rockstars.



Ahi tuna tacos with mardi gras slaw
Serves: 4
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
8-12 tortillas of your choice (My parents loved these with corn tortillas, but I used a low carb flour version)
1 lb. ahi tuna steak
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
Sesame ginger dressing (I used Newman's lite, but any ginger dressing will work)
Guacamole
Mardi gras slaw

For the Guac:
2 ripe avocados
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup medium salsa
Salt and pepper

Mardi gras slaw
1/2 cup corn (I just used frozen)
1/3 cilantro, chopped
1/2 red cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green onion, chop
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper

Instructions
1. Wrap tortillas in foil and put in oven at low heat or in warming drawer
2. While tortillas are warming, chop up cilantro, cabbage, and onion
3. Combine all the ingredients for the slaw in a bowl and toss. Set aside.
4. Peel and pit avocados and place into a bowl
5. Using a fork, mash the avocados thoroughly and combine remaining ingredients. Add seasonings as desired (I sometimes add a little bit of Tabasco if I'm cooking for a crowd that likes spice). Set aside.
6. Heat cast iron grill pan on the stove to high or medium-high heat
7. Rub ahi tuna steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
8. Place steak on grill pan and coat with soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes and repeat on other side. You want the middle to be nice and pink. If you don't like raw ahi, cook for up to 3 minutes a side.
9. Remove tuna and slice thinly

To assemble tacos, place 3-4 slices of tuna on a tortilla, top with slaw, guacamole, and 1-2 spoons of ginger dressing.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment