Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ricotta Herb Soufflés (An ode to cheese)

You know what's awesome? Cheese. 


You know what's not awesome for my wants-to-be-svelte physique? Cheese.



I actually only wrote that sentence so that I could use the word svelte. Actually, it will become relevant soon. But, I digress. 

The point of this post is that cheese rocks and you should eat it. You should eat it in large quantities, at every meal, and whenever given the opportunity. 

I love cheese. I always have. Not only do I love cheese, but I love all cheese. Who's discriminating here? Not me. 






So today's recipe is an ode to cheese, because I just love cheese and I'm not apologizing for it. However, if you're like me and would prefer to expand your cheese consumption without expanding your waistline, this recipe is perfect for you. While souffles can get really high calorie and high cholesterol quickly, this recipe uses low fat ricotta to trim down on the fat, calories, and cholesterol.

Besides, who doesn't love ricotta? It's so creamy, and smooth, and adds a great texture to anything to put it in.



I chose soufflé's today because despite how ridiculously easy they are, something about soufflé's always feels elegant and fancy to me. Not that DUC oatmeal and fiber one bars aren't keeping me happy when I'm at school, but I love to make a fancy breakfast every now and then.


This recipe has SO few ingredients, is super easy, and is customizable to your taste preference. I used lite ricotta, paremsan, garlic, and basil in my soufflés, but feel free to mix and match your cheeses and herbs as desire. I'm sure some Asiago or even Gruyere would be great in this too. I mean... any cheese would probably be great. Cheese rocks. 



Ricotta Herb Soufflés
Serves: 4
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups firm ricotta (I used low fat)
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
6 tbsp basil, rosemary, or your favorite herbs*
1 clove garlic, minced
2 medium eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper
Extra parmesan for topping

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 4 ramekins. You could also use muffin tins if you don't have ramekins.
2. Combine ricotta, parmesan, herbs, and garlic in a small bowl. Season to your liking and mix until smooth.
3. Add beaten eggs and mix well
4. Spoon mixture evenly into ramekins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a 10-15 minutes before flipping over onto a greased baking sheet.
5. Top with extra parmesan and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until tops are golden

Serve along with fruit or if you're serving brunch, these would be great with baked tomatoes, a side salad, toast, or any combination of the above.

Enjoy!

* I used A LOT of basil because I'm a basil fanatic, but if you don't like the strong taste of herbs, cut back to 4 tbsp


No comments:

Post a Comment