Saturday, May 24, 2014

Green things: Tropical green smoothie

Though you would never know it by reading this blog, my favorite meal is breakfast.


Oh, breakfast. Let me count the ways thy doth please me, breakfast. Nothing beats waking up hungry (which somehow I always do) and running to the kitchen to scarf down delicious foods. 


Besides, breakfast is just so versatile. It can be spicy, or salty, or sweet, or flaky, or creamy, or crunchy, or all of the above. A good breakfast is a surefire way to guarantee a good day.


So I have to apologize. Because for a self-proclaimed breakfast lover, I am also a breakfast failure. Not because I don't love breakfast, just because I also love cereal.


ohmygod cereal. Cereal will be my downfall one day and I am totally okay with that. Cereal is one of my favorite foods. Dry cereal, cereal with almond milk, cereal with yogurt, cereal with different cereal, cereal with fruit... cereal. I eat cereal in some variation most mornings because I just can't get enough of it. While I eat oatmeal at school, whenever I'm home all I want is cereal. In fact... yesterday I ate cereal for breakfast, and lunch... and snack (an official meal in my book). 


Which is why today I am bring you a breakfast post. I need to break away from the carby tempting mistress that is cereal. So this morning I stepped up my breakfast game and made one of my other favorite breakfasts: a green smoothie!


I know people turn their nose up at these, like, why does it just have to be green? It doesn't change the taste so whyyyyyy. Well, I like green smoothies because they pack nutrients into your morning, they have more volume (mo' greens = mo' smoothie), and they're frankly just beautiful.


This smoothie is also just totally killer. You might even say it's a...cereal killer. (Get it? GET IT? Because I was eating cereal, and then I ate this smoothie, and... and... yea. ok. sorry. I'm done.) But in all seriousness, this smoothie is a great pack of flavor and nutrients in the morning, and is full of yumminess and good-for you ingredients. 


The secret to this smoothie? A coconut water popsicle. Wait, I know that sounds weird because popsicles are dessert, but the Dreyers Outshine popsicles are super healthy and delicious. I love using popsicles in smoothies because they add thickness without making it icy. And these popsicles are my absolute favorite. They're made from a coconut water base with chunks of pineapple. Um.. yum? Yea, yum.


I had mine with lox served with light cream cheese and pico de gallo. I'm also a lox freak but that's another story. And a salsa freak. But mostly a smoothie freak. Wow, I just really like food. 



Happy noming. 

Tropical Green Smoothie
Serves: 2 (Or one...)
Prep time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
1 Dreyers Outshine coconut pineapple popsicle*
1 cup frozen mango 
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or your favorite milk -- coconut milk would rock!)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 cup pineapple coconut yogurt (or any yogurt you want, be I recommend tropical flavors to jive with the rest of these ingredients)
3 cups spinach
Ice as needed

Instructions
1. In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Add ice or more milk/water as necessary. 

* If you don't have these or don't feel like buying them, you could also mix pineapple juice and coconut water or just use coconut water and freeze it into ice cubs the night before. Let me know how it goes if you try this!



No comments:

Post a Comment