Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mahi Mahi burrito bowls with strawberry mango salsa + a month of blogging!

I have so much excitement to share I'm not sure I can even fit it into this post. I tried to fit it all into the title, but my blogging domain wouldn't let me... so you're just going to have to read the whole post to get all of it. Or just look at the pictures -- that's the fun part anyways!

So let's start with the biggest happy news: I'm home! Away from dorm food, away from horrible indoor gym workouts, and away from school work. I'm officially on summer vacation, and while I intend on writing a post on my freshman year soon (hopefully), I am so excited to be back in a kitchen that I couldn't wait to share the happy news.

I'm going to be food blogging for a month! From now until I leave for Paris at the end of May, I hope to post recipes at least three times a week along with other posts. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with ideas for recipes and reading food blogs between studying for finals, and I am so ready to cook so many new, healthy, wonderful foods. I hope you guys are as pumped as I am. It's going to be pretty great.

But onto the next happy news:

These bowls.



These bowls are like everything good you could ever want all at the same time. I mean it. There's guac, and fresh mango, and a kick of heat, and fantastic coconut cilantro rice, and it all coexists happily.

Whoever said that simple food is the best food definitely had a point... just not about these bowls. These bowls are a fiesta in your mouth, which is only appropriate since I made them on Cinco de Mayo.


In my opinion, the salsa is really what makes these bowls. The mangoes I used were super sweet, and combined with the right amount of jalapeno, lime, and cilantro, this salsa really pulls together all the things going on this bowl with just the right bite of sweetness.


The rice is also pretty insane. It's cooked in light coconut milk instead of water, sprinkled with some shredded coconut, and loaded with cilantro goodies. Even the coconut nay-sayers of my family loved this rice, and this dish in general.


We topped our bowls with black beans, grilled corn (grilling it adds so much depth!), homemade guac, greek yogurt (a healthy sub for sour cream), and lots of strawberry mango salsa.


 If you're not health obsessed like my family, you could also top these with crushed tortilla chips, cajita cheese, or really anything you'd like. I recommend lots of guac and mango strawberry salsa, but that's just me.


No matter what you do, these bowls are super healthy, SUPER yummy, and an all around must-try. You don't need it to be Cinco de Mayo to make these bowls. You should make them every day of the week always and indefinitely.

Just kidding - don't. There are so many more wonderful recipes to come.


Chipotle mahi mahi burrito bowls with coconut cilantro rice and mango, strawberry salsa
Serves: 4
Cook time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:


Chipotle Mahi Mahi
1 pound wild-caught, skin on, Mahi Mahi
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 whole chipotle chiles, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
a pinch of salt and pepper

Cilantro Lime Rice
1 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
1 cup light, canned coconut milk
2 water (or coconut water if you just really love coconut)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut

Strawberry Mango Salsa
1 medium size ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded, and chopped
1 lime, juiced
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt to taste

To serve
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup cooked black beans
2 ears of corn on the cob grilled corn, kernels removed from ears
1 cup guacamole (see my last taco post for the recipe or just make your own!)
greek yogurt or sour cream
fresh cilantro

(you could also add tortiall chips, salsa, tabasco sauce, cheddar cheese, cajita cheese, or whatever tickles your fancy!)

Instructions: 
1. In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, chipotle chiles, garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and onion powder. Whisk to combine. Add the mahi mahi and toss well. Cover and place in the fridge. (I do this hours before for a nice marinade, but you can do it when you start cooking and just let it sit while you start the rice)
2. Add the coconut milk and coconut water to a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Add rice, salt, and coconut. Stir thoroughly then place the lid on the pot and put on low heat sitting. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely.
4. Let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
5. Add the cilantro and lime juice, toss well. Keep warm.
6. Chop up the mangos and strawberries and combine with cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, pinch of cayenne and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Toss well, cover and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
7. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
8. Once the grill is hot, cook the mahi mahi for 4-5 minutes on each side.Remove from the grill.
9. Assemble the bowls! Start by laying down a layer of rice. Top with lettuce, beans, and corn. Place the fish on top and then finish off with the salsa, guac, and whatever else you want.


Enjoy!

PS: We enjoyed these bowls with mango margaritas for Cinco de drinko Mayo. Stay tuned. Margarita recipe will be coming at you soon.


1 comment:

  1. I love your take on Mahi Mahi! The combination of ingredients is wonderful, fruity, savory and spicy all in one. Gosh, I should really stop writing and just get on with buying the ingredients. My stomach doesn’t like to wait. Hahaha! Thank you so much for sharing that lovely recipe. I hope you've had an awesome summer!

    Alexis Webb @ 7 West Bistro

    ReplyDelete