Friday, May 23, 2014

Salmon lettuce wraps + avocado cream and tropical salsa

The tragedy of this blog post is that I have nothing interesting to say.



I'm not sure how that's possible given that I have opinions on anything and everything and sometimes I have so many thoughts buzzing in my head that they keep me awake for hours.


But I just have nothing to say. So there are going to be lots of pictures for you to enjoy instead of wasting your time with ramblings.


I guess I'll say this: blogging can be really intimidating. I know, computers and page design... how terrifying. But seriously, sometimes blogging scares the life out of me.


See, putting your thoughts out into the world is hard. What if they're not received well? What if they're not received at all? Sometimes I don't know if it would feel worse to feel hated or completely insignificant. So spilling your heart open to the internet commons is scary because it risks feeling both. And trust me, I've felt both.


But that's also one of the things I love most about blogging. While I love when people read my posts or try my recipes, ultimately I do this for me. I do this because in a world where it's so easy to project your voice, it's easy to feel like the things you say get drowned out by commotion.


I blog because the memory of what it feels like to think your voice doesn't deserve to be heard haunts me every single day. And it is a memory I try to fight aggressively.


I may be afraid of being rejected, criticized, or just ignored entirely, but at the end of the day, this is for me. This is for me because I love writing. I love eating. I love sharing. And because just like everyone else, I have a voice that matters. Everyone's does. And I love remembering how capable I am of using it.

So this is how I use my voice.


But anyways... lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps with salmon, and fruits, and avocados. I'm sort of a believer that mangoes and avocados can make anything delicious, and these lettuce wraps just confirm that suspicion.


Lettuce wraps are also the perfect vehicle for deliciousness. They add a sort of textural coolness to a dish without giving your palette another strong taste to deal with, they're cheap and super easy, AND they make dinner finger food. As a self proclaimed hater of utensils who eats jell-o with her fingers (haters gonna hate), finger food is my thing.


These lettuce wraps... also my thing. Avocados + mango + fish (gotta have those omega-3s) + finger food = the perfect meal. Low carb, low calorie, low everything... these lettuce wraps are also super healthy and diet friendly while still being filling.


You know what I'm going to say next, but seriously..
Just go make these lettuce wraps.

Salmon lettuce wraps with tropical salsa and avocado cream 
Serves: 2-3
Cook time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
12-16 oz salmon
1 head of butter lettuce, washed
olive oil
salt and pepper

Tropical salsa
2 medium mangoes, diced (I used one and wished I'd used more. Mo' mango mo' fun.)
1/4 cup strawberries, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, minced
1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 jalapeno, finely minced
salt

Avocado cream 
1/2 cup greek yogurt (or plain coconut yogurt if you have coconut lovers)
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey

Instructions
1.Combine mango, strawberries, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, and salt in a small bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Mix yogurt, avocado, lime, honey, and salt in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste. Set aside.
3. Heat grill. While grill is heating up, rub salmon with olive oil (make sure to oil the skin so it doesn't stick to the grill!) and sprinkle with salt.
4. Grill salmon on medium heat until barely done. It's okay if there's still some translucent parts towards the center.
5. To serve, pull individual leaves off of lettuce head and fill with fish, salsa, and avocado cream.

Enjoy!


1 comment: