Saturday, June 21, 2014

(Healthy!) Baked onion rings



I did that thing again.

That thing where I make food that's not supposed to be healthy, and then it is, and then it actually still tastes fantastic.


Go ahead. Be impressed.


But actually... these onion rings are delicious. At first I was skeptical that onion rings could be enjoyable without being fried, but I certainly proved myself wrong. So so wrong.


I love onion rings. In all honesty, I really don't like most unhealthy food. I don't like french fries, potato chips, ice cream, and generally any food that has too much grease or salt. Even accounting for my ridiculous sugar addiction, I also have a pretty low tolerance for too much sugary food.


But I love onion rings. There's something about the softness combined with the sort of easy, comforting crunch of the breading that makes onion rings super satisfying. The combination of textures and different flavors is exciting while still being balanced in a "I'm going to die ten years earlier if I eat this and just won't care anyways" type of way.


So these onion rings are all of that goodness minus the I'm going to die ten years earlier part.


Awesome.


While you could technically marinade these for two hours and they'd be fine, I think you should leave them in buttermilk overnight. It really helps the onions tenderize and contributes to that incredible textural contrast which is what makes onion rings so delicious.


Also, I made it through this entire post without talking about anything but food and I'm really quite pleased with myself. I've been trying to write some posts about life/feels/etc today and haven't really been able to express what I want to say, but look for personal posts coming your way soon.


For now, make onion rings.

Healthy baked onion rings
Serves: 4
Cook time: 1 hour (+ 2-24 hours of prep)

Ingredients:
2 large sweet onions, cut into thin slices
1 quart buttermilk
4 egg whites
2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup ground cornmeal
1 cup panko bread crumbs
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
nonstick olive oil spray, pam, or other cooking oil spray

Instructions: 
1. The night before (or at least 2 hours in advance of cooking) place sliced onions into a large disk and put in buttermilk. Cover and store in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit and line baking sheets with parchment paper
3. Beat egg whites in a small bowl and set aside
4. In a flat dish mix flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic. Combine well
5. Remove rings from buttermilk one by one and dip in egg whites. Coat well and immediately lace onions in bread mix. Mix bread crumbs around to coat well. You might need to make more breading depending on the size of your onions and how big you made the slices
6. Lay breaded rings onto baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray
7. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven, flip the rings, and spray again. Bake in the oven for another 15 minutes. NOTE: Watch them. If you like your onion rings browner you will have to cook for longer, and if you like them lightly cooked 30 minutes might be too much.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment