Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sharing (writing + some feels)




There are going to be some feels in this post.

That's actually a lie. There aren't going to be any feels written into the text of this post, but today I decided to share something that I've been going back and forth on for a while.

For the past two years I've been keeping a blog (not this one) that involved a lot of personal information and my creative writing. The latter in particular is very dear to me and something I have actively tried to share as a means of helping myself validate my feelings, but to be honest sharing is difficult.

Recently I've been thinking about that process though. The process of revealing myself and and my feelings, writing, thoughts, etc. to a ton of strangers, that is. From behind a computer screen it's not too difficult to spill your soul to a ton of people you don't know, people who will never look you in the eye with disappointment, and I'm not really sure that counts as sharing.

But revealing yourself to people you know, and love, and trust, and think the entire world of is a totally different action. And not one I do often.

Several close friends followed my old blog (which I don't use much anymore, sadly),  but I have been largely afraid of people I know finding that blog for a long time. Not because it says anything bad or things I wouldn't want others to read, but because it's hard to admit to yourself that those things are something that it's okay to share.

Sooooooo, today I'm sharing.

http://hellopoetry.com/kstenlowe/

This page is my account with Hellopoetry, a website that allows writers to catalog and share their writing (primarily poems as you might guess) with other writers on the internet. I stumbled across this website the other day and loved the idea of a platform for writers so I created an account. Since I have mostly left my old blog behind, this is the platform on which I intend to share writing in the future, and thus the way I'll share it with all of you.

While I considered including all my old writing on this page and archiving it all, I decided not to because I want this to be a place where the writing reflects New Kristen. New Kristen is a person who doesn't let her mental health get out of hand and who is not afraid to speak freely about the things she feels because if everyone is afraid to say the things that they're feeling we'll always be afraid.

Writing poetry is not something I consider myself particularly good at nor something I intend on pursuing as anything more than an emotional outlet. But when I can't sleep at night because I feel alone I am grateful for the people who are willing to write out their experiences and remind me that I am not the only one feeling things I don't know how to resolve.

Whether our feelings are the same at all, I hope that you find a way to resolves yours and know that you're not alone.

That's all the feels for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment