Thursday, July 31, 2014

Egg White Breakfast Burritos with peach salsa


This blog post almost didn't happen.



Because I am SO bad at folding burritos that these pictures felt too embarrassing for me to share. But this recipe had to be shared. I'm not kidding right now. It HAD to be. Two reasons:


1. Sometimes you just really need something wrapped in a tortilla. For years I have avoided almost all processed carbs and starches, but today I came back from a long kayak paddle and knew with unadulterated certainty that I needed a tortilla. This was a deep, primal, dare I even say carnal desire that could not be resisted. And there's no way I'm the only person who has ever felt this intense yearning. No way.


2. This is one of the best things I've eaten in a while. I don't know if it was just because it had carbs and cheese at the same time, a combination I rarely allow myself to indulge in, because my bell pepper was as sweet as can be, or just because I'm awesome (probably that one), but biting into this felt dirty.


Wow, I'm sorry for all these explicit feelings about a breakfast burrito. I'll try to tone it down.


Except I don't know if I can because I'm still thinking about this burrito and contemplating making another one. Which, byyy theee wayyyy, if you wanted to do you TOTALLY could since these little buddies are healthy and will only put you back 350 calories. If you're not a little turned on by the idea of that, you and I clearly have nothing in common.


OKAY. Toning it down... sorry.


I made my burrito with liquid egg whites because they're my fave, but if you are a die-hard real egg eater, then just sub egg whites with two normal sized eggs. You can also add more cheese, but I'm still trying to do this whole thing where I eat healthy things and eat unhealthy things in moderation. I'm also definitely counting this burrito as healthy.


One last note: you HAVE to use the salsa I recommend. I'm not kidding, it's not sub-able. I mean, you could hypothetically use a different peach salsa, but you should probably use this one. Mrs. Renfro's peach salsa is currently an addiction. It's sweet, mild, and adds something really unexpected to an otherwise predictable and savory burrito.


Oh man. I'm going to go make another one.


Egg White Breakfast Burritos with peach salsa
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serves: 1

Ingredients
1 large low carb flour tortilla
6 tbsp egg whites
1 oz reduced fat cheddar or pepperjack cheese, cubed or grated
1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 cup organic baby spinach
1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
2 tbsp Mrs. Renfro's peach salsa (+1 tbsp for topping)
*you could also use sour cream, gucamole, blackbeans, or whatever other veggies you like. This is just what I had on hand)

Instructions
1. In a nonstick skillet, combine egg whites, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, salt, and chili powder. Cook over medium-low heat until eggs are cooked.
2. Add in cheese and salsa and continue to cook until cheese is melted
3. In another pan (or use the same one and just remove egg scramble and clean the pan),

No comments:

Post a Comment