Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Spicy Salmon Burgers + Sriracha Mayo


So I have a story about salmon.



It's actually not even a good story, but I'm going to tell it to you anyways.


When I was ten my family went on a vacation in Alaska and ate functionally just salmon and more salmon for a week straight and after that I swore that I hated salmon and would never eat it again.


I know, cool story. Yes, I do tell it at parties.


But the story is relevant because this is my plea to you to not give up hope if you hate salmon. Stay strong, because I now loovveee salmon. I am proof that things can change.


And if you're trying to learn to love salmon: start here.


These burgers rock. In a kick ass, healthy, "ohmygod there's no way this is good for me" way that will make your mouth feel excited and your body feel great.


They're spicy without being TOO spicy, and the Sriracha mayo, a condiment I can only refer to as "orange sauce," is the perfect compliment to this burger. Not to mention the crispy panko crust on these is out of this world yummy.


Alas, I didn't actually have much to say to you all today other than that you should eat these fine burgers and then serve them to all your salmon-hating friends and see if they can still call themselves salmon haters. Oh, and pro tip? Keep the salmon a littttleee underdone for that awesome almost raw fish texture. It's awesome.



Spicy Salmon Burgers + Sriracha Mayo
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh wild salmon, skin removed
3 tbsp soy sauce
3-4 tsp sriracha
1/3 cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp egg substitute
panko
2 tsp olive oil
2 whole wheat burger buns, toasted (or not)
lettuce

For the spicy mayo:
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsbp sriracha

Instructions
1. Combine salmon, soy sauce, sriracha, and cilantro , and egg substitute in a food processor and pulse several times. Don't overmix. There should still be chunks of salmon.
2. Pour panko onto a plate. Using hands (wet them first so nothing sticks!) form two patties and coat in panko. Make sure all sides are coated.
3. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and place patties in oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on both sides or until nicely browned. It's okay if the salmon is a little underdone inside.
4. While patties are cooking, combine mayonnaise and sriracha to make spicy mayo
5.  To assemble, spread spicy mayo on the buns and top with lettuce. Top with patties and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment