Monday, July 28, 2014

Watermelon Feta Salad (+ optional chicken)


I want to talk about you all for a second.


Over the past six months, I've gone back and forth on whether blogging is a self-indulgent platform for narcissism, or a meaningful outlet for expression, or both. (I've decided on both)


Over that course of time I have also received an incredible amount of support and encouragement from y'all.


So today I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for clicking on the links I post (far too frequently), and for sending kind messages, and for following along on my culinary and personal adventures.


I love knowing that someone is out there reading and, more importantly, enjoying the things I share.


If you ever want to see something here that you're not seeing, let me know. This is about me... but it's also about you.


Okay, I tried to do that as briefly as possible without getting overly emotional. I'm pretty pleased with how well that went actually. *self five*


Now we can talk about food again, yussss.


So I'm back on the balsamic vinegar train.  I told you guys it would happen, but I also have recipes coming your way that don't contain an ounce of vinegar, so fear not.


Just bear through today with me. And this fruit + cheese + balsamic combination. It really is the last one.


But it's a good one. Guys, it's a really good one. And an easy one. Oh buddy, is this salad easy to make. The whole process took me less than 15 minutes from start to finish (and when I say finish I am even including the entire 45 seconds it took me to wolf this down).


You can also mix and match this salad if you're feeling like it. Use pecans instead of almonds, arugula instead of spinach, blue cheese or goat cheese instead of feta, or even replace the watermelon. Don't replace the watermelon though. Please?


I also recommend serving this along with some nice, warm, toasted bread or even a chilled soup like a watermelon gazpacho. Oh, you want to know a recipe for that? Hm, if only someone created one.


Stay tuned, friends. Stay tuned. That's all for now.

Watermelon Feta Salad (+ optional chicken)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3-4

Ingredients: 
1 lb. chicken breast
3-4 cups spinach
2 cups watermelon, cubed
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Instructions: 
1. In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil and bring to a simmer to reduce for 3-4 minutes or until it thickly coats the back of a spoon
2. Heat grill pan and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Season chicken with salt (I used seasoned salt) and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes on both sides on medium until chicken is cooked through
3. Divide spinach equally across plates and top with watermelon, feta, and almonds
4. Slice chicken thinly and distribute across salads
5. Drizzle balsamic reduction over salads, reserve a little extra for additional topping

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment