Saturday, August 2, 2014

Baklava Cups (an epic tale)


You guys, there are going to be SO many pictures in this post.



I'm sorry. I really am.


But these little nuggets of happiness were one of the best ideas I've had in a while.


But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let me explain with a story:


Once upon a time on a hot September day I sat in my freshman dorm at Emory navigating the horror that is OPUS, our class registration software.


As I navigated the terrifying ins and outs of class registration, I made the choice to sign up for a creative writing seminar on writing memoir.


My life was never the same.


That part isn't even that much of an exaggeration. That class actually was fantastic and an incredible teaching tool that shaped my writing. It was in that basement in the Schwartz center that I learned to let go of my strong attachment to adverbs, but also where I learned a lot about myself and my writing style as I explored my past to write memoir. Perhaps it even gave me the tools to write this epic. This story by the way... is in fact an epic.


ALAS. We find ourselves now in the winter of 2014, huddling by the fire for the night was dark and full of terrors. As the winter winds gusted outside, my mother asked me for a book recommendation, and I made her promise me that if we were to survive that night she would read Lying by Lauren Slater.


Well...


The winter winds blew, and howled, and we almost died. But it was totally fine and she ended up recommending  the book to her book club since we didn't die and stuff. Then they invited me to talk about the book with them and I did.


Which brings us to today.


As everyone knows, you don't show up to book club empty-handed. Such blasphemy is practically punishable by death. So naturally... I had to bring something to the book club/tea party.


But what to do? What could one possibly bring to a book club to honor a discussion borne out of such dire times?


These babies. That's what.


They're sweet, a little bit spicy (if you want), salty, crunchy, gooey, chewy, and delicious. They also take under 10 minutes to make and are healthy enough to please a tough crowd of women with fabulous figures to maintain.


And so it was. The tale of the Baklava Cups.*


Baklava Cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 15 (makes 15 cups)

Ingredients
15 Mini phyllo dough cups (find them in the frozen dessert section)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

Instructions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine nuts, honey, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt in a small bowl. Mix until combined. (Note: If you're having trouble mixing try heating in the microwave for 5 seconds to melt the honey a bit)
3. Line a baking tray with phyllo cups and distribute mixture evenly between cups
4. Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes so the honey seeps into the dough a bit and nuts are lightly roasted
5. Enjoy!

*Some details might have been fictionalized for added suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment